My church uses the Windows version of Audacity to record our services. Somehow one of the Audacity project (AUP) files was damaged, so all they had was the AU sound bites. I tried importing them, but they all came in as individual tracks.
After a few seconds of googling I found the Audacity Recovery Utility. I installed it, pointed it at the AU files, and it reassembled them into a WAV file. From there I could edit and export to MP3.
- Run Audacity Recovery Utility.
- Enter the Recovery Parameters.
- Location of .AU Data Files: click Browse, select folder with .AU files (folder name ends with _data).
- Number of Channels: 1 for mono, 2 for stereo.
- Click Start Recovery.
- A window will inform you that it found 1 continuous block of .au files. Click Yes to recover. This could take a few minutes.
- The program will create a WAV file in the folder full of .AU files named recovery_block1_channel1.wav.
- Open this WAV file with Audacity.
- Click File, Save Project As. Save it as you normally save an Audacity project.