To try out the Windows 7 beta, I wanted to dual boot it alongside Windows Vista. Here are the steps I followed:
- Use Vista's Disk Management (inside Computer Management) to shrink my D: data partition by 100 GB.
- Create a New Simple Volume with the newly-freed 100 GB.
- Download the Windows 7 beta ISO (I chose 64-bit) and get a Product Key from the Microsoft Windows 7 Beta download page.
- Burn the ISO to DVD with ISO Recorder.
- Boot from the DVD. Install Windows 7 on the new partition.
- Make sure Windows 7 boots from the hard drive.
- (Optional) Boot into Vista and use EasyBCD to change the Default OS and Bootloader Timeout.