Skip to main content

nForce4 Ethernet network driver for Windows 7 64-bit

Update 12/3/2009: My brother used his PC without problems for a couple days, but as soon as he tried installing PC games and patches, he ran into multiple errors. I tried reinstalling a couple times to no avail. I even tried the 32-bit version, but it didn't help.

The final solution was to go into the BIOS and reset everything to default, then reinstall Windows 7. I had him install a few apps, and when we were convinced that it was working, I changed a few BIOS settings back. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time (or desire) to figure out exactly which setting was causing trouble. It's interesting that this wasn't a problem with the RC, only the final RTM build.


When I tried installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my brother's PC, the files copied and expanded properly, but it always stopped at a black screen after the first reboot. Each time it pointed to a different file that was supposedly missing or corrupt. This happened even trying to reboot in Safe Mode. The PC has the AMD version of the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard with the nForce4 chipset.

I tried unplugging everything except the mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and finally the installation completed successfully! Windows 7 detected the network card, but wouldn't get an address. On another PC, I dug around on the nVidia site until I found the nForce4 Driver Archive. At this page, I downloaded the driver for nForce4/500 Series AMD - Windows Vista 64-Bit. I ran this from a USB drive on my brother's PC, chose to install only the Ethernet driver, then rebooted. That did the trick, and everything's working great now. Curiously, Windows Update found and installed a new driver, but I forgot to check the manufacturer or version of that one.

Here's the step-by-step:
  1. Download the nForce4/500 Series AMD - Windows Vista 64-Bit driver and save it to a USB drive.
  2. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the network card of the PC you're installing Windows 7 on.
  3. Run the Windows 7 installer (preferably from DVD).
  4. Boot into Windows.
  5. Connect the Ethernet cable.
  6. Run the installer you downloaded. At the component selection screen, install only the Ethernet driver.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Windows Update may find a newer network driver; this is OK to install.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas

I love Mexican food, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I always get confused between burritos, wet burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas. Here are the descriptions, with the differences in bold and pictures following each description.

burrito
A flour tortilla wrapped around a filling (meat, beans, vegetables, etc)


wet burrito
A burrito that's covered in red chili sauce and cheese. Because of the sauce covering, it looks like an enchilada, but it's made with a flour tortilla, whereas the enchilada is made with a corn tortilla.


chimichanga
A burrito that's deep-fried. Sometimes covered with cheese or another topping.


enchilada
A corn tortilla wrapped around a filling, covered with chili pepper sauce


Sources
Wikipedia: BurritoWikipedia: ChimichangaWikipedia: Enchilada

Edit scanned documents with Word 2007

Office 2007 includes support for converting scanned documents to editable text using OCR (optical character recognition). To get your text from a paper document to Word 2007:
In the Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.Find Microsoft Office, click it, and click Change.In the Office Installation Options window, expand Office Tools, click Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and select Run from My Computer from the dropdown.Click Continue or Next until you reach the end.You can now scan documents and convert the scanned images to editable text:
From the Start Menu, find Microsoft Office, then select Microsoft Office Tools, then click Microsoft Office Document Scanning.Choose your preset and options, then click Scan.The scanned image should open in Microsoft Office Document Imaging. To perform OCR and open the editable text in Word, click Tools, Send Text to Word.You can now edit and save the scanned document as a Word document.

Considering retiring this blog

I'm seriously considering retiring this blog. When I started it in 2008, it was a place for me to share thoughts and links on a variety of topics. For at least the last year, however, it's just been a place where I re-post book reviews from Goodreads.

You can see all my book reviews on my Goodreads profile, and subscribe to my Goodreads RSS feed to be notified of new reviews. I also intend to keep blogging about WordPress, web design, and web-related topics on my OptimWise blog, which also has an RSS feed.

Would you miss this blog if I discontinued it? Please leave a comment.