Skip to main content

Book review: The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This has always been my least favorite book in The Chronicles of Narnia. It’s partially because of the characters; instead of the familiar Pevensie children (visitors magically transported from our world), the main characters are natives of that world. In this story, the Pevensies are adults during their Golden Reign, and only appear briefly in Calormen and later in Narnia.

Calormen isn’t as interesting a place as Narnia, and C.S. Lewis meant it that way, as it represents a culture based on slavery and a false religion. The country is mentioned in a couple other books, but appears most prominently in this one and The Last Battle.

The main theme of this story is providence: the way God (portrayed by Alsan) directs events and supplies for the needs of His people. At one point, Aslan reveals the role he’s played in Shasta’s life from his infancy to the present: he pushed Shasta’s boat to shore when he was a baby, caused Shasta and Bree to meet Aravis and Hwin, comforted Shasta and scared away the jackals by the Tombs, terrified the horses into running to the Hermit, and kept Shasta from falling off the precipitous trail.

Aslan shows how he’s been guiding, protecting, and comforting Shasta all along, without Shasta even being aware of it. Not all of the events seemed good to Shasta at the time, and some were even injurious, but they all worked to his benefit. I’m reminded of Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, who have been called according to his purpose.”

The concept of providence is further reinforced by the Hermit of the Southern March, who says, “I...have never yet met any such thing as Luck. There is something about all this that I do not understand; but if ever we need to know it, you may be sure that we shall.”

A recurring theme in The Chronicles of Narnia is that people are only told about their own lives, not others’. When Aravis asks what happened to a servant girl, Aslan says that “no one is told any story but their own.” Elsewhere, he says that they can know only what has happened, not what would have happened under different circumstances.

There’s a Doubting Thomas scene near the end. Bree is telling Hwin and Aravis that Aslan isn’t a real lion, but simply a metaphor that Narnians admire. In response, Aslan approaches Bree and says, “You poor, proud, frightened Horse, draw near...Do not Dare not to dare. Touch me. Smell me. Here are my paws, here is my tail, these are my whiskers. I am a true Beast.” Notice the similarity to this excerpt from John 20:24-29:

But he [Thomas] said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

After reading The Chronicles of Narnia several times, I see how this book fits into the overarching plot and theology of the series, but it still feels like a misfit to me, and I read it reluctantly.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas

I love Mexican food, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I always get confused between burritos, wet burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas. Here are the descriptions, with the differences in bold and pictures following each description.

burrito
A flour tortilla wrapped around a filling (meat, beans, vegetables, etc)


wet burrito
A burrito that's covered in red chili sauce and cheese. Because of the sauce covering, it looks like an enchilada, but it's made with a flour tortilla, whereas the enchilada is made with a corn tortilla.


chimichanga
A burrito that's deep-fried. Sometimes covered with cheese or another topping.


enchilada
A corn tortilla wrapped around a filling, covered with chili pepper sauce


Sources
Wikipedia: BurritoWikipedia: ChimichangaWikipedia: Enchilada

Edit scanned documents with Word 2007

Office 2007 includes support for converting scanned documents to editable text using OCR (optical character recognition). To get your text from a paper document to Word 2007:
In the Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.Find Microsoft Office, click it, and click Change.In the Office Installation Options window, expand Office Tools, click Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and select Run from My Computer from the dropdown.Click Continue or Next until you reach the end.You can now scan documents and convert the scanned images to editable text:
From the Start Menu, find Microsoft Office, then select Microsoft Office Tools, then click Microsoft Office Document Scanning.Choose your preset and options, then click Scan.The scanned image should open in Microsoft Office Document Imaging. To perform OCR and open the editable text in Word, click Tools, Send Text to Word.You can now edit and save the scanned document as a Word document.

Considering retiring this blog

I'm seriously considering retiring this blog. When I started it in 2008, it was a place for me to share thoughts and links on a variety of topics. For at least the last year, however, it's just been a place where I re-post book reviews from Goodreads.

You can see all my book reviews on my Goodreads profile, and subscribe to my Goodreads RSS feed to be notified of new reviews. I also intend to keep blogging about WordPress, web design, and web-related topics on my OptimWise blog, which also has an RSS feed.

Would you miss this blog if I discontinued it? Please leave a comment.