Skip to main content

Book review: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

Food Rules: An Eater's ManualFood Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A collection of short, memorable rules for healthy eating. The rules fit within three incredibly simple, yet oft-ignored, over-arching rules: Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much.

There’s almost no scientific research or data presented in the book. Pollan admits this, and says that humans haven’t needed nutrition science to survive the past several millennia, and neither do we. However, he does refer readers to his book In Defense of Food for the science behind his rules in this book. Naturally, I just started reading In Defense of Food.

I agreed with most of Pollan’s rules, but I disagreed with a few in the Not too much chapter. Rule 46, “Stop eating before you’re full”, and Rule 53, “Serve a proper portion and don’t go back for seconds”, don’t work for me. If I don’t eat until I’m full (or beyond) at least every few meals, I get so hungry that I feel faint. I blame my abnormally high metabolism.

I also have an issue with Rule 61, “Leave something on your plate”, and the saying, “better to go to waste than to waist.” If you need to throw food away to keep from overeating, you have a discipline problem. Wasting food is also a slap in the face to the millions of starving people around the world.

I liked most of the rules, and plan to follow my favorites:

Eat food: eat real, whole foods with simple ingredients that have been minimally processed.
Rule 2: Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. Avoid artificial foodlike substances.
Rule 9: Avoid food products with the words “lite”, “low-fat”, or “nonfat”. The fat is normally replaced with salt and sugar.
Rule 13: Eat only foods that will eventually rot. Real food goes bad.
Rule 19: If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don’t.

Mostly plants
Rule 22: Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.
Rule 24 The fewer the legs, the better. Eat, in decreasing amounts, plants, fungus, and fish, then poultry, then mammals.
Rule 37: The whiter the bread, the sooner you’ll be dead.” Eat whole grains, not white, refined grains.

Not too much
Rule 44: Pay more, eat less. Choose quality over quantity. “Better to pay the grocer than the doctor.”
Rule 54: Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper. Decrease the size of your meals throughout the day.
Rule 55: Eat meals. Eat full meals and reduce snacking.
Rule 63: Cook. Cook your own food to control your diet.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas

I love Mexican food, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I always get confused between burritos, wet burritos, chimichangas, and enchiladas. Here are the descriptions, with the differences in bold and pictures following each description.

burrito
A flour tortilla wrapped around a filling (meat, beans, vegetables, etc)


wet burrito
A burrito that's covered in red chili sauce and cheese. Because of the sauce covering, it looks like an enchilada, but it's made with a flour tortilla, whereas the enchilada is made with a corn tortilla.


chimichanga
A burrito that's deep-fried. Sometimes covered with cheese or another topping.


enchilada
A corn tortilla wrapped around a filling, covered with chili pepper sauce


Sources
Wikipedia: BurritoWikipedia: ChimichangaWikipedia: Enchilada

Edit scanned documents with Word 2007

Office 2007 includes support for converting scanned documents to editable text using OCR (optical character recognition). To get your text from a paper document to Word 2007:
In the Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.Find Microsoft Office, click it, and click Change.In the Office Installation Options window, expand Office Tools, click Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and select Run from My Computer from the dropdown.Click Continue or Next until you reach the end.You can now scan documents and convert the scanned images to editable text:
From the Start Menu, find Microsoft Office, then select Microsoft Office Tools, then click Microsoft Office Document Scanning.Choose your preset and options, then click Scan.The scanned image should open in Microsoft Office Document Imaging. To perform OCR and open the editable text in Word, click Tools, Send Text to Word.You can now edit and save the scanned document as a Word document.

Considering retiring this blog

I'm seriously considering retiring this blog. When I started it in 2008, it was a place for me to share thoughts and links on a variety of topics. For at least the last year, however, it's just been a place where I re-post book reviews from Goodreads.

You can see all my book reviews on my Goodreads profile, and subscribe to my Goodreads RSS feed to be notified of new reviews. I also intend to keep blogging about WordPress, web design, and web-related topics on my OptimWise blog, which also has an RSS feed.

Would you miss this blog if I discontinued it? Please leave a comment.